- FEATS & RECORDS
Enjoy our fascinating hole-in-one facts. Discover just how special you are!
What constitutes a valid hole in one?
The Rules of Golf do not address the issue of the validity of a hole in one. The USGA recommends that a hole in one be considered valid:
- If made during a round of at least nine holes, except that a hole in one made during a match should be acceptable even if the match ends before the stipulated round is completed
- If the player is playing one ball; a hole in one made in a practice round in which the player is playing two or more balls should not be acceptable
- If attested by an acceptable witness
- If made at a hole with a temporary tee and/or putting green in use, even if the Committee did not specifically define the teeing ground with tee-markers; the length of the hole at the time should be stated on any certificate
- If made in a "scramble" competition, for example, a Captain's Choice
What is the chance that a golfer will make a hole in one?
- Tour player making an ace: 3,000 to 1
- Low-handicapper making an ace: 5,000 to 1
- Average player making an ace: 12,000 to 1
- Two players from the same foursome acing the same hole: 17 million to 1
- One player making two holes-in-one in the same round: 67 million to 1
Other hole-in-one facts
- There are approximately 450 million rounds of golf played each year in the U.S
- On average each course has about 25,000 - 30,000 rounds played each year
- Each course reports 10-15 hole in ones each year
- A hole in one is scored once every 3,500 golf rounds
- Only 1-2% of golfers score a hole in one during the year
- Odds of making a hole in one is 1:3500
- Average years of playing is 24
- Average handicap of golfers making hole in one is 14
- Age group that makes the most holes in one is 50-59 (25%) and the next highiest is 40-49 (24%)
- Ball used most often is Titleist (45%), Nike (14%), and Top Flite (11%)
Facts just for women
- 16% of holes in one are made by women
- Average age is 55
- Average years of playing is 15
- Average hole length is 111 yards
Two Holes In One in the Same Round
· Gregory P. Shaughnessy of Rockville Centre, NY
· Gregory P. Shaughnessy, a guest of Ryan Byrne and playing with Joe Alduino, successfully holed out on the 5th and 10th holes at Rockville Links Golf Club on August 27th, 2016. He used a 7 iron on the 135 yard 5th (#52166) and a 9 iron on the 105 yard 10th (#52167). Shaughnessy did this despite limping due to a sliced foot and also dealing with a lower back injury.
Five Holes In One on the Same Hole
· Mark Briggs of Perth, Australia
· Between 1990 to 2015, Mark Briggs made 5 Holes In One on the 130 yard 7th hole of the Dunes course at Joondalup Country Club in Perth, Australia. He achieved these feats in 1990, 2001, 2004, 2005, and 2015.
Four Holes In One on the Same Hole
· Thomas Allen of Holland, MI
· From 2011 to 2014, Thomas Allen made a Hole In One each year on the 5th hole at Diamond Springs Golf Course in Hamilton, MI. 3 were in the month of August and the 4th occured on July 31st.
Warwick Trantum of Sydney, Australia
· Between 1997 and 2012, Warwick Trantum made 4 Holes in One on the 150 metre 2nd hole at Gordon Golf Club in Sydney, Australia. In addition to these 4 achievements that occurred in 1997, 2007, 2010, and 2012, there were also 2 near-misses that finished within 5cm of the cup on the exact same hole, and Mr. Trantum has recorded two other holes in one on two other courses. Posted March 27, 2015
Four Holes In One in 30 Days
· Nick L. Sica of New Castle, PA
o 1st 09/08/13 Sunnehanna CC, Hole 16, Yards 182, 6 Iron (#32494)
o 2nd 09/11/13 New Castle CC, Hole 7, Yards 110, Gap Wedge (#32495)
o 3rd 09/13/13 New Castle CC, Hole 13, Yards 125, Gap Wedge (#32496)
o 4th 10/03/13 New Castle CC, Hole 13, Yards 125, Gap Wedge (#32497)
Four Holes In One in 1 Year on 4 Different Courses
· Timothy Hultquist of Vero Beach, FL
o 1st 10/31/13 John's Island Club-South Course, Hole 12, Yards 140, 8 Iron (#32968)
o 2nd 12/28/13 Red Stick Golf Club, Hole 13, Yards 168, 6 Iron (#33501)
o 3rd 10/03/14 Winged Foot GC-East, Hole 3, Yards 145, 7 Iron (#39088)
o 4th 10/21/14 Wee Burn Country Club, Hole 7, Yards 160, 6 Iron (#39412)
Two Holes In One on Same Day -Different Rounds
· Chris Gilley of Costa Mesa, CA
· Chris Gilley made 2 Holes In One on the same day during a SCPGA tournament on 6/10/2013. It was a 36-hole tournament and his holes in one occurred on the same hole.
Scoring Hole In One from Both Sides
· Don Warren of Topinabee, MI
· In 1982 at Ye Ole Country Club in Roscommon, MI – right handed. On August 13, 2013 Don made a hole in one left-handed. Don use to play right handed for 20+ years then switched for about 15 years ago.
· Jeff McDaniel of Corona, CA
· In 1995 at Claremont Golf Course Jeff recorded his first Hole In One as a left-hander. A couple years later he switched to right-handed and recorded his second carrer Hole In One in November of 2014 at Eagle Glen Golf Club.
Spousal Grand Slam Hole In One
· Paul and Jennifer Stuppi of San Mateo, CA
· The couple carded a spousal career grand slam at Green Hills CC in Miilbae, CA
o Jennifer Stuppi:
1st 12-6-91-Hole 13 140 yards, six iron
2nd 7-25-97 Hole 7, 127 yards 7 iron
3rd 3-24-07 Hole 15 , 132 yards 6 iron
4th 6-5-10 Hole 4, 135 yards 5 iron
o Paul Stuppi:
1st 5-16-02 Hole 15, 155 yards 7 wood
2nd 4-22-07 Hole 13, 166 yards driver
3rd 8-1-13 Hole 7, 146 yards 4 hybrid
4th 4-22-14 Hole 4, 165 yards 3 wood
Junior Achievements (Under 18) - 2 Holes In One in a 9 Hole Match
· Samantha Staudt of Coatesville, PA
· On September 23, 2014, Samantha Staudt recorded 2 Holes In One during at 9-hole match at Inniscrone Golf Club in Avondale, PA. The first came at the 72 yard 5th hole, and the second was at the 135 yard 8th hole. Samantha was 16 years old and had been playing golf for 6 years at the time of her achievement.
Scoring 4-3-2-1 on Par 3s in a Single Round
· Ed Steinway of Millbrae, CA
· On July 2, 2000, Ed Steinway made 4, 3, 2, 1 on the 4 Par 3's at Green Hills Country Club in Millbrae, CA. He made a bogey 4 on the 165-yard 4th hole, a par 3 on the 138-yard 7th, a birdie 2 on the 150-yard 13th, and hole in one 143-yard 15th. This was also Steinway's first hole in one in 40 years of golfing. (#49116)